Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dennery Primary School - A Class Act

Sarah and I were invited for a site visit to Dennery Primary School in Dennery, St. Lucia. The focus on today’s visit was to attend their theatre class and see what connections might be made between the school and the My Island – My Community project we’re working on for PCI Media Impact.

This was our first time to visit Dennery, a tiny village of on the east side of the island. A little over 10,000 people live in this area which is known for fishing and its banana crops. The drive started out beautifully. I could not believe the views. Spectacular! It was amazing looking out onto the luscious green rainforest and picture perfect blue water. The drive was pretty windy though as we were climbing the mountainous terrain, and not too far into the trip, the driver was clipping what seemed like 60… 70… mph steep curves and passing slow moving trucks. Meanwhile, 90s hits from the US were blaring one right after the other on the radio station. I made a comment to Sarah that I thought maybe we had time traveled back to the 90s. (note to self: write script about an absurd vehicle that time travels. like a hot tub. oh wait... that's been done.)

But as the curves got sharper, the bus rolled along faster. I told myself to think of the drive as a rollercoaster, except that this rollercoast didn't have rails. But then I remembered that I infact do not like roller coasters at all (6 Flags is not my idea of a fun vacation) and that the research I had done prior to arriving to St. Lucia (see I did my homework, Joe!) indicated that many traffic accidents occur in St. Lucia because of the steep, windy roads just like this. I then could see the bus (which to be fair is really a mini van) careening off the curve and into oblivion… life flashing before my eyes. Please God, don’t let the last song I hear before I die be Hanson’s MmmBop. Please, anything but that. At least throw me some Boys II Men, Dave Matthews, or Nirvana. Really, Hanson? This was the point where I leaned over and told Sarah if she survived to find all my diaries and burn them.

Luckily for me MmmBop was not the last song I heard. And disregarding the drive, we had a pretty great day. Visiting the theatre classes was awesome. The kids were super talented and boy were they hamming it up for the camera.


They played games! Here is a student pressing the dents out of her imaginary sphere.




They showed me their drawings! Apparently they really have a thing for elves.



They begged to have their photo taken.



But best of all -- they showed me and Sarah how great it was to be 10 and have the gift of theatre, storytelling, and play in their lives. Normally they take their core classes like Language Arts and Arithmetics, and this is the only type of class of its kind. Twice a week they get to visit Ms. Regis's class and escape into an imaginary world of charcters they've made up and created. It really is something special.

And just like that in an MmmBop our time was up at Dennery Primary School and it was back to our little abode in St. Lucia.

You have so many relationships in this life
Only one or two will last
You go through all this pain and strife
Then you turn your back and they're gone so fast
And they're gone so fast
So hold on to the ones who really care
In the end they'll be the only ones there
When you get old and start losing your hair
Can you tell me who will still care?
Can you tell me who will still care?

Mmm bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du

Mmm bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, Ba du dop
Ba du bop, Ba du dop
Ba du . . .



2 comments:

blue dragonfly said...

This looks like lots of fun - yay for these kinds of educational opportunities!

Captain Judy said...

Thanks LA. Just read your post about you return back to Texas. Happy you made it back home safely!

Post a Comment